For weeks now we have been enjoying soft shells that were harvested by Denny Reynolds, cared for and shed by his wife Cassandra (pictured below). Denny and Cassandra live in Columbia, North Carolina, tucked away in a serene corner of the state. Their dogs, Radar and Diesel are two of their priceless assistants. We’ve been getting hard crabs for 2 years from Denny as well (check out this video we made). If you have ever bought a bushel or even just a dozen of these beautiful blue crab at the State Farmer’s Market, they almost certainly came from Denny.
Here’s a peek at an upcoming Know Your Fisherman series we are working on, expect a few tweaks. In honor of the awesome soft shell season we just experienced, let’s get started with Denny.
10 Questions with Denny Reynolds
- Where are you currently based? Columbia, NC
- What is your hometown or state? Columbia, NC
- How many years have you been in the business? Over 20 years, since I was 16.
- Is there any family legacy in the seafood industry? My father and grandfather crab too.
- Where do you crab? Wanchese, Columbia, all around Albemarle Sound (to Englehard & Swan Quarter)
- What type of fish or seafood do you catch or harvest? Crab.
- What is the most rewarding aspect of your work? The paycheck.
- What are some of the greatest challenges you face in your work? The weather.
- What is a snapshot of a day or week in your job? I take another guy with me.
- What is your favorite seafood? Crabs steamed with beer.